Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Marathon Training Tip - Stretching

As I start my descent into madness, aka maraton training, I would like to share what I learn. The whole reason I created this blog was to chronicle my running experiences - mainly my marathon experience. Since this is my first time training for a marathon and I don't know what I am doing, I thought we could all learn together. So I will now include a weekly "Marathon Training" tip.

This weeks weekly tip is on Stretching. Go Here for some great tips on stretching.

Basically I learned this:

Stretch before and after each and every run to prevent injury. Stretching is important to enhance muscle effectiveness. It also lengthens your stride and improves your form.

Warm up muscles (walk or light jog for 5 or 10 minutes) before you stretch. Don't stretch cold (resting) muscles.

DO NOT wait 30 - 40 minutes after you run to stretch. Your muscles are too cooled down and you may cause injury.

Hold your stretch for 30 seconds min. and 60 seconds max.

Stretch all your major muscle groups.

If the stretch hurts, you are stretching too hard and may cause injury.

That's about it. Check out the link if you have any questions.

May all your "runs" be strong ones!

No comments: